No, not New Orleans style. This one cheats all to hell and back, but it still tastes good and hey, who could eat New Orleans style every night and not end up the size of the French Quarter?
Source: Mrs. L.
Note: I hate eating dishes like these where some lazy-ass chef leaves the tail shell on the shrimp. the only time tail shells are acceptable are in a shrimp cocktail or when the entire shell remains on the shrimp, like when I’m downing a pound of shrimp with a couple bottles of cold Corona Light.
1 can tomatoes (plum, cut up with kitchen scissors)
1/2 cup celery
1/4 green pepper
1/4 onion (white, not sweet)
3 Tbsp butter
3/4 lb shrimp, cleaned, split, shelled
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp Worcestershire
1 1/2 cup Minute Rice OR already cooked boil-in-bag brown rice (Told you it was cheating)
If you’re using the brown rice, cook it now and skip step adding water to tomato liquid.
1. Drain tomatoes and save liquid.
2. Saute celery, peppers and onion in butter until lightly brown.
3. Add shrimp, cook until pink.
4. Add tomato liquid and all other ingredients except rice. If you’re using minute rice, add enough water to the tomato liquid to make 1 1/3 cups. Simmer, covered, for three minutes.
5. Add rice; cover and simmer for five minutes.
Makes six servings unless you eat like I do, then it makes between three and four.